How to Dip-Dye Your Hair Pastel Pink

So, those of you who know me know that I have had a lengthy, and often loveless, obsession with unnatural hair. My own hair has been in and out the entire colour wheel throughout the ages of 14 to about 22, when I arrived in Chiang Mai and wanted to be a teacher, so therefore had to become "proper". Before that, I had gotten away with crazy hair working as a waitress or in book shops, and even as a co-ordinator and again as a research assistant (I was apparently quite "personable" - I've learnt that helps if you want to be taken seriously with lilac hair).

Pastel dip dye!

The first colour I ever dyed my hair was a bright red, and as a young-un was lucky enough to be enrolled in a private high school with a very lenient dress code (South African government schools are similar to Thailand's, with their strict uniforms and discipline). Then, during my high school hair career, I changed it up and went to an arty farty school, where of course my natural response was to dye my hair a brilliant blue.

After a while, red and blue seemed very basic to me, so naturally I became obsessed with getting my hair white ("anime" white, if you will), and once that was achieved, I promptly dyed it a whole myriad of colours after my vacation in Australia (where I got my grubby little hands on unfamiliar colourful hair dyes). That was the first time I'd seen so much hair dye, since it's almost impossible to find cool colours in my hometown of Durban. So yes, I was pretty much an over-excited dog when it came to hair, and that hair-colour-mad dog still lives inside of me today.

White hair - I was around 17 or 18 here.

The other day, I heard that inner hair colour addict, and she said to me in an excited voice, "Halloween is coming up! That means you have an excuse for crazy hair!" Yes, the opportunity had finally arrived! I decided to be as conservative as I could, lest my employers frown at my zany ways, and just dye the tips of my hair. This is known as a dip-dye job, and since I chose a pastel colour, it would wash out soon enough.

I bought my homemade pink hair dye from a stand at the Chiang Mai University Market, also known at Kad Rincome. Besides having an array of colours, they also sell bleach and cool pastels that lets you draw streaks of temporary colour in your hair. My little tub of bright pink hair dye was ฿60, but there were bigger tubs for ฿100. The students who sell and make the dye are really friendly, and if you're nice they'll give you special deals on their products (which just means you'll end up with too much hair dye and not enough hair!).

How to dip-dye your hair pastel pink from blonde:


My natural blonde hair in 2013, grown out. It looks a bit unkempt here - whoops.

You will need the following:

- Plain white conditioner, any brand. It must be white though because it will be used as a mixer.
- Hair dye in the colour you want - blues, reds, pinks and greens are good for making pastel colours.
- A container to mix the conditioner and dye.
- A comb - this is to brush the dye downwards into your ends.
- Gloves - I have forgone these many times in my hair colour journey and ended up with stained, albeit colourful, hands.
- Blonde hair! This should go without saying, guys! But pastel colours don't work on darker shades, so if you are darker then you need to bleach the tips of your hair before dip-dyeing them a pastel colour.

Comb, dye, conditioner, and container. Voila!
Now mix 1 part of the dye with 3 parts of the conditioner. The conditioner will probably look really bright, but believe me, it's saturated the colour already. The conditioner won't let the colour permeate your hair as much as it would like to, so don't worry if it looks really bright when you first put it on. It probably won't be bright enough!

You can experiment with how much dye you want to use. Obviously the more you use, the more vibrant it will look and longer it will last. But as I needed the dye to wash out pretty quickly (about a week), I used 3 parts conditioner, so my dye was really weak.

When you are ready, tie your hair into two or four ponytails, depending on how thick your hair is. If you want, you can tie your ponytails again, midway down the rest of your hair, so you can have a pretty even dye job. I didn't do that for mine because I like to think of myself as a seasoned hair dye expert (I'm not - I can't count the times I've had blobs of colour on my eyebrow for a month or accidentally stained another part of my hair with my messy gloves).

Now, you'll start putting the dye on your hair from the ends upwards. Don't worry if it's a little messy as you don't want it to look like a straight line anyway. I personally think dip-dye jobs look better when they're a little messy! And if anyone manages to get their dye-job in a perfectly straight line, I suspect they might be suffering from OCD...


Before shot of the dye still in my hair. It looks much brighter here.
Pretty pleased with my pastel pink dip tips! Viola!

12 comments:

  1. The tips of my hair just don't feel the same anymore. I wants to dips them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha. I know who you are! Very cute =) But your hair is too short to dip-dye!

      Delete
  2. it actually looks pretty cool :-) Sach will like this, she was talking about putting some colour in her hair recently

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She definitely should, with that lovely blonde hair of hers! And if you go pastel with it then she won't have to worry about it staying in for a long time =)

      Delete
  3. Finally some decent instructions. BTW I like the white colour it suited you, any more snaps, red?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, maybe for future instructional hair colour posts =) I gotsa save them snaps!

      Delete
  4. why no more long posts, i like them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anon, and I'm glad you like my long-winded rambling posts. More soon, I promise!

      Delete
  5. The color looks good on you. There are so many ways to add color to hair nowadays. So many products that make doing it at home cheaper and safer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lyn! A girl's hair is so precious, too! I couldn't help but cry the first time it got cut way too short, and again when it was dyed a very unflattering colour. So I definitely trust myself much more than a hairdresser now!

      Delete
  6. I went to taht stall at the CMU market after this and they have so many cool things there! The guy with the red hair is so nice too ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the stall, I think they're doing something really different to the rest of the market which is cool =) And yeah, that guy is really nice! Haha!

      Delete